pspp-dev

Re: PSPP and character sets

From: Andreas Steichardt
Subject: Re: PSPP and character sets
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 13:41:17 +0100

On Friday 11 March 2005 13:28, John Darrington wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 11:51:36AM +0100, Andreas Steichardt wrote:

Hi!

>      I will have to create japanese/korean spss files (for SPSS 11.5)
>      in the near  future and now i wonder if that's supported by
>      pspp. I grepped a bit in the source and didn't find anything
>      which was really promising. So the big  question is: Does PSPP
>      support such character sets?
>
> Currently variable names can only be 8 bytes long.  Support for long
> variable names is coming very shortly.  This will allow names of up
> to 64 bytes long.  So far as I'm aware, there is no restriction on the
> character set.  You can use ISO-8859-1, UTF-8 or whatever you like.
>
> Having said that, I've never actually tried using anything other than
> plain ascii.

Sorry if my question wasn't precise enough. I was talking about string data
(so not about varnames etc.). The generated file has to be opened in SPSS
afterwards and i guess there has to be some info about the charset in the
generated file (probably in the header of the spss file) so SPSS will know
how to display the data. Is pspp able to write this info so once i open the
file in SPSS everything looks well out of the box without fiddling in the
options?

> J'

Regards,

 Andreas Streichardt