pspp-dev

Re: 3rd Party compatibility

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: 3rd Party compatibility
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 21:55:40 -0700

> So the question is:  Should we
>
> a) emulate SPSS's ability to read this faulty system file (for the
>    sake of 'compatibility')?
>
> b) prefer 'correctness' and leave these guys to fix their own buggy
>    (and proprietary) product?

Let's make it work.  What advantage is there in being
incompatible, except for some putative "moral high ground"?
Software should be liberal in what it accepts, strict in what it
produces.

If you feel like making it work now, feel free; otherwise, I'd
encourage you to file a "wishlist" bug.
--
Peter Seebach on managing engineers:
"It's like herding cats, only most of the engineers are already