pspp-dev

Psppire GUI status

From: John Darrington
Subject: Psppire GUI status
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 13:10:02 +0800

Well I've done some more work on the GUI.  It's barely functional
to the extent that you can now write to *.SAV files with it.

Here's what you should be able to do with it:

*    Enter variable in the variable sheet.
*    Delete variables.
*    Adjust column widths --- the width in the data sheet should
     automatically update when you enter a new value, and vici-versa.
*    Add labels to variables.
*    Change varible names, types and formats.
*    Enter data in the data sheet (but don't expect it to be properly
     formated).
*    Save data to a system file  --- should create a good file, so long
     as the data is good (currently there's nothing to stop you entering
     invalid data in the data sheet --- eg letters in numeric variables).
*    Clear the data and variable sheets (using File-->New).

If you find there are problems doing any of the above, please let me know.

What you can't (yet) do:

*    Add Value Labels.
*    Add Missing Values.
*    Change Align or Measure properties.
*    Change details of Custom Currencies, Dates or Dollar formats.
*    Load system files.
*    Scroll the data/var sheets.
*    Enter more cases/variables than the hard coded limits.
*    Statistical analysis.

Building it is still cumbersome, but more robust than before.  However,
I have moved up a few versions of everything.  I'm not sure exactly what
the dependencies are, but I'm using:

 libtoolize (GNU libtool) 1.5.20
 automake (GNU automake) 1.9.6
 autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.59
 libglade-2.5.1
 GTK+ 2.6.10

Please note also, that you must run Psppire from the base psppire directory
where it was built.  If your current directory is psppire/src or anywhere
else, then it won't work.

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3