pspp-dev

Re: close_active_file()

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: close_active_file()
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 18:45:04 -0700

> On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 08:56:55PM -0400, Jason Stover wrote:
>      So now I've discovered that after I create my transformation
>      with add_transformation() in regression.q, I found that
>      close_active_file() clobbers it right after the REGRESSION
>      procedure is done.
>
>      How should I avoid the call to close_active_file()?
>
> This is just a guess.  But looking at the differences between
> descriptives and regression, I see that the former has set the
> transformation AFTER multipass_procedure with splits has returned.

Oh, yes, this is definitely required.  Don't modify the set of
transformations while a procedure is ongoing--it will not work
properly, as Jason as seen.

>  /* Data pass. */
>   ok = multipass_procedure_with_splits (calc_descriptives, dsc);
>
>   /* Z-scoring! */
>   if (ok && z_cnt)
>     setup_z_trns (dsc);
>
> Whereas regression calles add_transformation inside the
> multipass_procedure_with_splits.
>
> I guess this is related to Ben's comments about it not working
> properly with splits.

Well, no, that's just because the Z-score transformation only
tracks a mean and stddev for the whole file, not per split group.
--
"Mon peu de succès près des femmes est toujours venu de les trop aimer."
--Jean-Jacques Rousseau