pspp-dev

Re: casefile random access

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: casefile random access
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 08:48:04 +0800

On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 01:23:28PM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:

     > The problem with GUIs is, that there is little evidence on which to
     > base guesses of the `norm'.  The GtkSheet is free to request redraws
     > on the cells whenever and however it wants.

     Oh.  I didn't realize that was the case.  I kind of assumed there
     was some sort of caching layer in there, so that it wouldn't
     requery its backing database on every redraw.

Such a layer could possibly be added.  When I downloaded GtkSheet from
sourceforge, there was no separation between its front- and
back-ends; it malloc'd strings for every cell.  I hacked it, into more
of a model-view-controller design, and got rid of any instance where
it allocated memory to store data.  Instead it gets it from it's
"model" (in our case a casefile).

     Perhaps I will reconsider the approach, then, in the end.  But
     it's worth checking it in for now, I think.

I think that's probably the best idea.  I started thinking a little
more deeply about integrating casefiles into psppire-data-store.c, and
I've now got a lot more questions than answers.   So I suppose it's
time to dive in and get a much better idea of the situation --- and
then consider the next move ...

     > BTW, are you still intending to implement the case_reader_clone method
     > as a separate exercise?

     I need to go back and think about RANK again.  I don't remember
     the detailed rationale anymore.

I think the relevant discussion is here:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/pspp-dev/2005-06/msg00003.html

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3