pspp-dev

Re: List of functions ?

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: List of functions ?
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 23:45:21 -0800

> Is there a way to programatically obtain a list of function names
> (as defined in src/language/expressions) ?  Some of the GUI dialog
> boxes require such a list.

There's never been a reason to export one from the expression
parser before, so although there's a list it's not necessarily in
the form you want.  See src/language/expressions/parse.inc in the
build directory (it's a generated file).

Quite possibly we want to generate a separate list for use by the
GUI dialogs and export that list.

Here are some considerations:

        * Do you want just function names, or do you want
          argument types along with them?  They're about equally
          easy to supply, as you can see from the current array.

        * Do you want to include unimplemented functions?  PSPP
          extension functions?

        * Some functions are "overloaded" in that they have
          multiple versions with the same name but different
          types or numbers of arguments; also, some functions are
          varargs.

        * Some functions take a optional "minimum non-missing
          arguments" argument, e.g. MAX.3(a,b,c) to only give a
          non-missing result if all of a, b, and c are
          non-missing.
--
Peter Seebach on managing engineers:
"It's like herding cats, only most of the engineers are already