pspp-dev

Re: gperf: new prerequisite

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: gperf: new prerequisite
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 17:25:31 -0700

> On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 05:06:31PM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
>      +        * gperf 3.0.1 (or later).
>      +
>
> This should go into README, not README.CVS, since it's required when
> building from the tarball.

Are you sure?  I'm pretty sure that, if so, that's a bug in
iconv_open: Bruno Haible was just saying on bug-gnulib how those
files *do* get distributed:

From: Bruno Haible <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: new module 'iconv_open'
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lib.gnulib.bugs
To: address@hidden, address@hidden
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 02:12:57 +0200

Ben Pfaff wrote:
> In PSPP, we've been trying to display all the missing
> prerequisite libraries together at the end of a single configure
> run, instead of just failing the configure run after finding the
> first missing prerequisite library.  It would be a natural
> extension to apply this to helper tools such as gperf.

But then you would display that 'gperf' and 'bison' are missing tools,
also to the user of a tarball that contains the generated files already.
These tools are needed only for users of the CVS and for the maintainers,
not for tarball users. Configure options to distinguish these cases (e.g.
--enable-maintainer-mode) have turned out to be a bad idea.

Bruno

--
Ben Pfaff
address@hidden