pspp-dev

Re: Function categories

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: Function categories
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 08:39:19 -0600

> I've been thinking about this too, and I've got an idea
> which might give a more pleasing gui than that produced by the Chicago
> company:  If we use the features of the GtkTreeView widget, then we
> can present a list of categories and allow the user to expand or
> collapse those categories in which (s)he's interested.  It means that
> the dialog box doesn't have to be cluttered with more widgets, yet
> allows easy filtering and selection of the functions.

I agree.  That was basically my idea too, but you presented it
better.

> Would it be possible to make an api which provides an iterator which
> can be used to return all the functions which belong to a given
> combination of catagories?  It may be better to use bitfields instead
> of sequential enums.

I was thinking more of an API that directly exports a hierarchy
of categories containing functions.  Based on a quick look at the
GTK docs, this could be pushed into a GtkTreeStore pretty easily?

> Having made that request, I don't consider it to be the most important
> thing for pspp right now, so I'm probably not going to get around to
> using such an api until I've got some time on my hands.

OK.
--
"GNU does not eliminate all the world's problems,
 only some of them."