pspp-dev

Re: status report

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: status report
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 17:56:22 +0800

On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 11:15:26PM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
     The last week or so I've been cleaning up the simpler-proc branch
     for review and eventual merging.  I think that this process will
     probably take another week or two.

     I've also done some performance regression testing on
     simpler-proc versus the main branch and discovered some places
     where simpler-proc performance was bad, especially in sorting.  I
     fixed the worst of it but there's still a little needed
     improvement before it'll be ready for merge.  Probably only a few
     hours worth of work there though.

Do you anticipate the merge to be an atomic operation, or can it be
done piecemeal?

Last time I looked, the data sheet in the GUI was non-functional in
the simpler-proc branch.  If the new datasheet/casereader is
reasonably stable, then perhaps now is the time to start looking at
this.  I'm coming to the conclusion that the stuff in lib/gtksheet is
overcomplicated, largely due to its legacy from the gtk-extra
library.   My current feeling is that we should cut out all the
features of gtksheet that we're never likely to use.  This should make
it leaner and easier to work on.

     The last few days I've started writing the PSPP developers guide
     that I mentioned a while back.  Here's a tentative outline, which
     is bound to change as I continue writing:

[:snip:]

It looks good.  I think that some of the appendices from the user
manual should be moved there.

             * Graduation: I turned in the first draft of my PhD
               thesis to my advisor yesterday.

Congratulations.

             * Pintos: My educational operating system used at
               Stanford and elsewhere.  I'm currently working to
               integrate the contribution of a USB mass storage layer,
               which allows students to demonstrate their projects on
               real machines by running the OS off a USB flash drive.
               This is considerably more impressive than running
               inside a virtual machine as they currently do, so it
               seems worthwhile, but I'm very picky about what I put
               into Pintos so I'm having to do a lot of refactoring
               work.

Does that mean Pintos will be able to run on the OLPC?  or could it in
the future?

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3