pspp-dev

Re: Configuring output drivers

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: Configuring output drivers
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 20:55:21 -0700

> How do I set the  OUTP_DEV_SCREEN flag for an output device?

Put "screen" into the third field of the device's description in
the "devices" configuration file.

> I had assumed that I should use outp_enable_device, but on inspection
> of the code, this just sets a static variable disabled_devices, which
> is accessed by one function only: outp_drivers, which in turn is used
> in src/languages/data-io/list.q and nowhere else.

I think you need to get a new "grep", the one you have is broken :-)
outp_drivers is called in several places, most notably for this
purpose from som_submit.

> That code in list.q seems kind of bizarre to me; looks like some kind
> of legacy thing.  Is it still supposed to be there?

It is definitely.  I implemented LIST as a special case that
doesn't go through the normal mechanisms of the output engine.
The reason is that its output is abnormally large compared to
most procedures, and I didn't want to limit the amount of data
that could be listed to the size of a table that could be held in
memory.

I have plans to replace the output engine with a better and quite
different one.  We should be able to get rid of this special case
at that point.
--
"I consider that the golden rule requires that if I like a program
 I must share it with other people who like it."