pspp-dev

Re: [patch #6270] RECODE dialog

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: [patch #6270] RECODE dialog
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 17:33:04 +0900

On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 02:45:44AM +0000, Jason H Stover wrote:

     Follow-up Comment #7, patch #6270 (project pspp):

     1. Minor problem, perhaps not worth fixing now: Typing a value in the
'Name'
     field requires clicking on the variable selected in the variable selection
     box. I guess the gui needs to know which variable is selected, but there
     should probably be some default set, so if the user puts the focus in the
     'Name' field, s/he can start typing a new variable name without explicitly
     selecting a variable in the variable selection box.

You're right.  Perhaps the first item should be selected by default.

     2. A bigger problem, though I'm not sure if it's RECODE or TRANSFORM or
some
     gui problem: Make a variable v1 with 9 values: 4 'a' and 5 'x'. Make
another
     numeric variable of alternating 1's and 2's. Use the dialog box to recode
v1
     into a different variable (say) hooba: a --> 1 and x --> 0. Then recode v2
     into a new variable (say) barfo: 1.0 --> 8.0 and 2.0 --> 90.0. Then go to
     Transform-->Compute, and make a new variable (say) biffo = hooba * barfo.
Hit
     the 'OK' button and you will see a column of 0.0's, which is incorrect.

     I also pasted the syntax, which looked fine:

     COMPUTE biffo = hooba*barfo.

The syntax generator for the COMPUTE dialog doesn't append an
EXECUTE (perhaps it should).  So you'll have to click on
Transform-->Run Pending Transformations to see the results.  To remind
you of this, a "Transformations Pending" notice appears in the status
bar.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3