pspp-dev

release thoughts

From: Jason Stover
Subject: release thoughts
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 18:50:45 -0400

I'm going through the trouble of installing pspp on a student's
machine. This student has a recent installation of Freespire.  The
problem is its version of gtk: 1.something, in /usr/lib.

So now we're installing gtk 2.12, but I don't want to install it in
/usr/lib for fear of clobbering other programs. So it will go into
/usr/local/lib.

In the past, on every system where I've tested this, pspp will not
find the newer version of gtk. configure just quits when it sees
/usr/lib/libgtk* and doesn't bother looking in /usr/local/lib. This is
going to cause us to lose a lot of users. If they successfully install
a new version of gtk, then they will quit when pspp fails to find
it.  So is there an easy way to make sure the configure script
doesn't just quit when it finds an old version?  It should keep
searching, at least in /usr/local/lib.

-Jason