pspp-dev

Re: Workspace size

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: Workspace size
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 22:45:11 -0700

> Also on the subject of WORKSPACE, what do people think about the
> default value?  Currently PSPP uses 4096KB, the v14 manual says 6148
> is their default.    I think that both these are far too low for a
> modern machine. 64MB would be more reasonable IMO.

I guess 64 MB is probably reasonable.  On my laptop here, Firefox
has an RSS of 349 MB (probably because it leaks like a sieve),
and the Emacs that I'm writing this in has 44 MB.

One reason I hesitate to set this arbitrarily high is because it
is only (currently) a limit on the cases in memory of any given
casereader, but there can be lots of them at any time.  So that
can really be 64 MB times N.  That's one reason it's set to 4 MB
now.
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org