pspp-dev

Problem editing file

From: Michel Boaventura
Subject: Problem editing file
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 23:04:29 -0300

Hello,

Looking at the pspp code, and searching on the web about the problem
of edit the file and save it on windows,
and I realize that seems like when the user start to change the file,
pspp creates a new file on the same directory who is
a copy of the old, and when the user saves, pspp move the tmp file
over the original.

I see a problem here, because I have some databases with 2GB +-,
and it will be to much overhead to create a copy and then move it.

Other issue is that on windows there is no way to overwrite, rename or
remove an open file. You MUST close it first.
So I guess that to fix this bug for now, we need to close the file
just before overwrite it. But I don't know if it will
create trouble on the interface. If not, it's just a matter of sending
the file pointer to the function, so it closes the file,
overwrite, and then open it again.

What do you think?

Michel