pspp-dev

Re: [vertaling] PSPP quote style

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: [vertaling] PSPP quote style
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 13:45:02 +0000

Hi Hendrik,

Thanks for input.  The short answer is that this is what all GNU software
should do
(and most does).  See
http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Quote-Characters.html

You are right when you say that ` is annotated by iso-8859-1 as a grave accent.
However in GNU it is currently standardised as a left quote.
The problem largely historical.  GNU predates both ISO-8859 and Unicode.
The original ascii specification did not stipulate the purpose of the glyphs,
but says

  "These characters should not be used in international interchange without
   determining that there is agreement between sender and recipient."

So I suppose the agreement is that all recipients of GNU software who use the C
locale
agree that ` means left quote.

This has been a hot topic on the GNU mailing lists in the past.  Like the coding
standards say, neither iso-8859-1 nor Unicode/UTF8 is ubiquitous.  When it is,
then the standard might change.

J'

PS.  If I might be allowed to offer a personal perspective, one reason for
prefering
ASCII, is that when I read your email, all your quote characters show up as ???
which
is annoying.