pspp-dev

Re: PSPP Errors on Vista

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: PSPP Errors on Vista
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 08:33:23 +0000

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 09:58:36AM -0600, Duncan Hsu wrote:

> I hope this is the right place to report this -

address@hidden might have been a better place, but thanks for the
feedback anyway.

>I was not able to
> connect to http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/pspp for some reason.

Savannah was down for planned maintenance but should be ok now.  See
http://identi.ca/group/fsfstatus

> Basically, I have trouble using PSPP on Windows Vista - version v0.7.2
> seems to be fine. But v0.7.8 and v0.7.9 seems to have problem on the GUI
> part.
>
> I described the details at:
> http://ittidbit.blogspot.com/2012/02/problem-pspp-on-windows-vista.html

0.7.9 is probably the only version that anyone is going to bother about since
that is the latest version. Regarding that version, you say only:

 "For the v0.7.9, the installation is successful. But when ever I start the
  psppire.exe GUI, Windows Vista reported the program has crashed. I did not
  pursue more on this one."

I suggest that you do some more experimentation and come back with more details.
Eg,  exactly which build of 0.7.9 ? - there are several on the Net - or did you
build it yourself?   Does the terminal pspp.exe work at all? If you start
psppire.exe from the command line, do you see any messages before it crashes.
etc,
 etc.

Also please be aware that the pspp developers don't as a rule use Windows and
whilst we try to ensure that all platforms are supported, non-free systems
such as Windows take a secondary place.

Thanks,

J'

--