pspp-dev

Re: Proposal for new art for GNU PSPP

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Proposal for new art for GNU PSPP
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 22:58:50 +0200

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 01:44:48PM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
     On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 10:37 AM, Hugo Alejandro <address@hidden>wrote:

     > Hello again.
     > I write to tell a new information.
     > I have contacted a graphic designer GNOME project partner (Jakub
     > Steiner) and has guided me with links and tutorials. Moreover, I asked
     > about the "chart icon" and kindly send it to me (the original) and
     > told me I was free to use as icon  PSPP under license CCBYSA3, which
     > is great news because it is a fantastic icon and it looks great in
     > PSPP.
     > Although I would have liked to do something myself, this is what makes
     > it great opensource software.
     >
     > A useful link as licensing.
     >
     > https://mail.gnome.org/archives/commits-list/2010-March/msg12239.html

     The GNU webpage on licenses at
     http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html says
     that CC BY-SA 2.0 is a good license for artistic works, so it seems
     reasonable to
     me in this case.  I don't know what differences there are among 2.0, 2.5,
     and 3.0
     (the versions I've seen mentioned so far), but assuming that they do not
     make it
     non-free, I'm inclined to take these icons without any legal paperwork.
      After all,
     it seems that the worst that could happen is that we would have to switch
     back
     to the old icons.

     Thank you very much!

     John, it sounded like you had already looked into what it would take to add
     these
     into the tree.  Have you started working on merging them in?

I have started looking to see what needs to be done, yes.

Who is the author anyway? I understand it is not Hugo, or not him alone.  If
for
no other reason than proper attribution we need to put the names in the AUTHORS
file,
and under "artwork credits" in the about dialog.

If no papers are to be signed, the  I presume the work is Copyright by the
original authors, and not by the FSF, in which case I shall have to put them in
a separate directory per
https://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/maintain.html#External-Libraries

The .svg files ought to have Copyright Notices in them, too.  But I don't think
any currently do.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3