pspp-dev

Re: Proposal for new art for GNU PSPP

From: Bastián Díaz
Subject: Re: Proposal for new art for GNU PSPP
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 14:54:46 -0700 (PDT)

Hello.

My name is Bastián and I've been part of, along with Hugo creating a new art for PSPP. He now is on a little vacation with his family, so I keep the contact now.

Sending new updates that include a logo (splash and about), application icon, improved file mime types (small canvases) and improvements in flat icons.
To all the art I apply the color palette of the tango project (the same used by GNOME) and improvements to the readability of small icons.
For carrying out tests with symbolic icons, I remind you to remove or hide the gray background to display transparency.

I think we have a good basis for creating icons in high contrast, so we would have partially completed the new art for PSPP before the weekend.

However, Hugo and I have doubts about the usefulness of the icons representing the statistical analysis, and we have good experience using various (user interface for this analysis) as Stata, SPSS, Statistica or SAS and have given note that for these software features, help for a cleaner interface and clear, not display icons in the menu, as many of their analysis, they share concepts and representations they would not be clear enough to distinguish just looking at her pictographic representation.

A good example of this, we see in the Stata software, which is praised for its clear and powerful interface. Stata, by default does not display icons in menus on any platform (well shows keyboard shortcuts for some options). Furthermore it gives consistency to the UI.
A counter-example can be seen in the SPSS software. SPSS has an icon for all your options (which is good), but unfortunately, many of them are so similar, they do not fulfill their function (pictorial representation of its function) and make recognition more difficult.

Therefore, we recommend that PSPP not display icons in the menu, and in the future as to enhance using the toolbar, which may contain analyzes categories are there in the application, and these categories present in lists their analysis.

A model of the concept Mockup (early design). This is just an idea, and it all depends on what you deem as developers.

Thank you very much. I hope your comments.