pspp-dev

Re: PSPPire UI mockup

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: PSPPire UI mockup
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 21:35:55 -0700

On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 04:57:15PM -0700, Basti?n D?az wrote:
> > I am not sure that it makes sense to put the output viewer into a tab
> > given that the eventual goal would be to add SPSS-like features to the
> > output viewer, which (as you say) make it more suited to a separate
> > window.
>

> I did not know that was a target for PSPP.
> If so, could there be an option to access that functionality?
> It could be as a tab or a button on the toolbar to keep that window (and
> maybe the syntax editor window) in the background in the main window.
> When I teach PSPP / SPSS, often hear complaints about that (especially
> that sometimes the window is above the other). I teach to save and
> keep both files and if they can make a copy of syntax procedures (with
> the button paste) to review procedures or errors. For a casual user is
> usually somewhat complicated to handle 2 or more windows of the same
> application or operating the journal file. As I mentioned, it could be
> an option as offered GIMP (the default interface is the classic,
> single window instead can choose by your preferences).

I am not sure that I understand how the output viewer could reasonably
be a pane in the data window, because one can open multiple data files
but there is only a single stream of output.  One could change to having
multiple streams of output, one for each data file that is open, but
this would be a bigger conceptual change, to my mind.