pspp-dev

Re: Re: suggestion to enable users to switch UI language.

From: Harry Thijssen
Subject: Re: Re: suggestion to enable users to switch UI language.
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 21:12:26 +0100

Dear all,

Hello, this is Tetsuya Suga, recently started to translate PSPP into Japanese.
(some of you know another e-mail address of mine, but never mind.)

Better state which one you  prefer so we can use that one. I guess the latest.

After Harry provided the new PSPP package for MSWindows including the
Japanese translation, some of my Japanese friends told me that they
still want to use PSPP in English. It is partly because they are
already used to English.

This situation may happen not only in Japanese.

Yes

Thus, it will be great if PSPP has a setting option that can enable
users to switch the language.

I support that, but as most people want localized or the original language this seems not to be such a big deal to me. And if you make this configurable, most likely there are more variables to change. So is it worth it?

John solution of adding an environment variable would do the trick, survive an upgrade and can be done per user. For MSWindows people can find how in, for example, http://www.itechtalk.com/thread3595.html

Another quick and dirty solution might be to remove the locale directory,  \Program files\PSPP\share\locale, however this has to be done after an installation again.

Have fun