pspp-dev

Development plans?

From: John Williams
Subject: Development plans?
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 15:18:23 +1300

Hello, I'm a new member of this list, and am considering the ways in which I can best contribute to the development of PSPP.  I've been searching the web for some information about development plans, but cannot find what I'm after.  I have, of course, read the material at

https://www.gnu.org/software/pspp/contribute.html

but I still have a couple of questions.

I work at a university where I teach statistics, and I really want to point my students at PSPP in preference to SPSS.  For what we need to teach, PSPP is mostly sufficient, but there are one or two features missing.  And, of course, only one missing feature is enough to mean that PSPP is not adequate for the needs of our students.

So, my questions are:

1. When someone has written on the page referred to above that you don't need money, is that still true?  If I convinced my University to "donate" $5,000 if you would only implement (for example) Variable Sets, or hierarchical cluster analysis, would that really not help?

2.  If I want to contribute code (or documentation, or icons), is there are prioritised list of things that are needed?  Also, is there a list of things that are planned and currently being worked on, so I can avoid duplication of effort, and even better, spread the workload of whoever is currently working on that feature?

Thanks for reading, and sorry if I should have asked these question in the user list, and not here.

Best wishes to all the PSPP hackers,

John