pspp-dev

Re: Re: non-ascii characters. I have cross-compiled it, but have no way

From: Harry Thijssen
Subject: Re: Re: non-ascii characters. I have cross-compiled it, but have no way to try it out.
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 09:46:08 +0200

Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 10:44:46 +0200
From: John Darrington <address@hidden>
To: John Darrington <address@hidden>
Cc: address@hidden
Subject: Re: non-ascii characters.  I have cross-compiled it, but have
        no way  to try it out.

For some reason my comments to this patch got chopped.  What I meant to say was:

This patch provides most of what is necessary to fix the issue on Windows which
a number of users have complained about, viz:  not being able to read or write
files which contain non-ascii characters in the filenames or their path.

I have checked that it cross compiles for windows, but have no means of testing it.
Perhaps Harry can check that out.  I expect that it will have (re)introduced another
issue however:  It will break when trying to overwrite a file which already exists.

My findings:

It is possible to save a file with non ascii characters in its name. When the file not exists there is no problem when saving. When the file exists it gives a clean message that the file already existst. If /replace is used in the save statement it works nicely.
In no circumstances I got a crash.

However, the syntax editor doesn't like it when I use non-ascii characters in the syntax. If I edit the setup with wordpad, I get a correct functioning setup but the file name of the saved file looks different as I specified.
May this has something to do with my settings.

Is anybody volunteer to test this version in an environment where non-ascii characters in filenames are normal? I can send her/him the install .exe to test it.

Have fun