pspp-dev

Re: postgresql

From: Harry Thijssen
Subject: Re: postgresql
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2016 22:48:52 +0200

I am looking again in the postgresql issue when cross-compiling.

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 08:53:09PM +0100, Harry Thijssen wrote:
     Hi

     It seems to me that the test for Postgresql in configure is not correct.

     I think it is testing if Postgresql is installed in the host environment
     instead of the target environment.

There are several things one needs to be carefull of in such discussions.

Firstly, the terms "host", "target" and "build" have been used to mean different
things over the years.  The most common usage today I think is as follows:

The "build" platform means the platform on which the software is being built -
that is to say the platform on which the compiler is running.

The "host" platform is the platform on which the built software is intented
to run.

The term "target" today is relevant only for compilers and similar tools.  It means
the platform on which software produced by the compiler currently being built is
intended to run.  It is probably not relevant for our discussion.

As far as Postgresql and PSPP is concerned :

The libpq library needs to be available *on* the build platform, cross compiled so
that it can run on the host platform.

Ok so I have the lippq.dll on my cross-compiling environment. (mingw on openSUSE)

For the purposes of running the tests, a postgresql server needs to be available on
the build platform.

Only necessary when run "make test" ?

Complicating matters further, Postgresql has a binary called pg_config - which performs
a similar role to pkg-config - We use it to try and find the relevant postgres bits.
pg_config needs to be installed on and for the build platform.

This is confusing. Is this used during
./configure
 make
 make install

or later on when the resulting binaries are executed on a MSWindows environment? I have pg_config.exe now available in my mingw environment.
 Hopefully the above doesn't confuse you too much.

J'

For me it is still very confusing and I don't know what to do to get postgresql support in the MSWindows binaries. Does this work for GNU/Linux packages?

Have fun