pspp-dev

Re: What I've been working on

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: What I've been working on
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2020 20:46:32 +0200

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 11:25:35AM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
     I haven't been too active on the PSPP mailing lists lately. It feels like
     time to update the folks here about what I've been doing. I've continued my
     work on understanding SPSS output file formats, in two areas.

     First, I've spent some time on understanding graphs and charts in .spv
     files. These are a really complicated format, and I've made some limited
     progress on it. It will take a lot more effort.

     More recently, I've spent considerable time understanding the format of
     .spo files. These are nontrivial, but not nearly as complicated as .spv
     files (far fewer subformats, for one thing). I am making progress.

That's good to hear.  (However, I don't know what are the respective
purposes of .spo and .spv files are and how those purposes differ).

     Is it time to release the next version of PSPP? Does anyone know of current
     instabilities that would bar release for the moment?

It has become apparent that some of my fixes to those recent fuzzing
bugs are imperfect and need to be rethought.  I will try to do that
within the next week or two.

But yes, looking at NEWS, I see that a lot of things have happened since
the last release and we need to think about making a new one.

J'