pspp-dev

Re: [ELPA] New package: pspp-mode.el for PSPP/SPSS syntax highlighting

From: Sean Whitton
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: pspp-mode.el for PSPP/SPSS syntax highlighting
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2020 13:20:27 -0700

Hello John,

On Sun 05 Jul 2020 at 08:35PM +02, John Darrington wrote:

> Sure.  But from a user's perspective I don't see the advantage in that.
> I mean what is the difference between typing "apt-get install pspp-mode"
> and "M-x package-install 'pspp-mode" ?

>From the perspective of those of us working on packaging Emacs addons in
Debian, significant advantages are

1) the way addons work doesn't change within a Debian stable release,
   just like Emacs itself doesn't change within a Debian stable release

2) addons get installed using Debian's mechanisms for a secure software
   supply chain, rather than relying on https alone.

--
Sean Whitton