pspp-users

Re: entering data into PSPP

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: entering data into PSPP
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 16:07:56 -0800

Ryan Mann <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello.  I'm a new PSPP user and I'm having a hard time getting started.
> Particularly, I'm having a hard time understanding the "data list"
> command since the manual doesn't give examples.

Yes, we could really use a "getting started" guide, and some
examples.  PSPP was originally targeted at existing users of SPSS
but we do seem to getting some new users who have never used
SPSS.

> From reading the manual I got that you would start out with a
> data list command, begin data.  whatever_data then end data.

That's typical.

> However, I don't understand the format of the data list
> command.  Let's say I have two groups of scores.  One for
> tigers and another for other cats.  For tigers I have the
> following scores: 9 24 32 11 19 For the other cats: 24 24 32 48
> Can somebody give me an example of how I would enter this data?

You'd have to decide how to distinguish the groups.  I suspect
you'd have two variables: "animals" and "score", and you'd want a
syntax file that looks something like this:

data list /animal 1-5(a) score 7-8.
begin data.
tiger 9
tiger 24
tiger 32
tiger 11
tiger 19
other 24
other 24
other 32
other 48
end data.

Then you could get, say, descriptive statistics on each group
like so:

split file by animal.
descriptives score.
--