pspp-users

Re: PSPP -- Scandinavian characters?

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: PSPP -- Scandinavian characters?
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 16:22:50 +0800

Character sets other than ascii are not supported in 0.4.x
The problem of reading non-ascii characters in SAV files
was fixed some time ago in CVS (see
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?15820 ), and will be in 0.6.0
when it's released.

On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 12:17:42AM -0700, Paul and/or Minna Brown wrote:

     I've been using SPSS 15.0.1, and in Finland.  Much to
     my surprise, it allows Scandinavian characters (e.g.
     ?, ?, ?) in variable names.

     Pretty sure that's the source of the following error:

     error: corrupt system file: tietoyhteiskunta_1.sav:
     position 331: character `\304' (�) is not valid
     in a variable name.

     Not sure how that bit in the parentheses will show up
     for any of you, but on my terminal it's just a black
     hexagon with a white question mark inside.

     Ah, there we go - changed from UTF-8 to ISO-8859-1 and
     got this version:

     error: corrupt system file: tietoyhteiskunta_1.sav:
     position 331: character `\304' (?) is not valid in a
     variable name.

     So, that's a big 'A' with two dots over it.  In any
     case, is there a work around, or will I just need to
     change the variable names in my SPSS file first b4
     trying to open it with PSPP?  Ben - I'll send a
     separate mail just to you where I include the file -
     don't think anyone else will need/want it.

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3