pspp-users

Re: SPSS Viewer Output File Formats

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: SPSS Viewer Output File Formats
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 08:12:29 +0800

On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 03:00:43PM +1000, James BRANFORD wrote:

     However, for no particular reason, my lecturer is insistant that an
     assessment item be submitted in SPSS specific .spo or .spv viewer
     formats.

At my university, there is an official policy which would allow me to
lodge a complaint against that lecturer:

  "The University will ensure that it imposes no requirement or
  expectation on students in any discipline that would require them
  necessarily to make use of proprietary software when a cost is
  involved, where there are comparable Open Source packages available"

[http://www.its.uwa.edu.au/policies/commspolicies/software,_applications_and_infrastructure/opens]

Perhaps your university has a similar policy?  It would be worthwhile
checking.  Ask your guild or student services representative.

If you don't get a satisfactory resolution, then I'm sure that the
Free Software Foundation would like to hear about it. See
http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/university-wireless.html/view?searchterm=University

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3