pspp-users

Re: problem installing ppsp on Intel Mac

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: problem installing ppsp on Intel Mac
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 09:04:31 -0700

"John Pollock" <address@hidden> writes:

> /usr/bin/ld: multiple definitions of symbol _xmalloc
> /opt/local/lib/libreadline.dylib(xmalloc.so) definition of _xmalloc
> gl/.libs/libgl.a(xmalloc.o) definition of _xmalloc in section (__TEXT,__text)
> /usr/bin/ld: multiple definitions of symbol _xrealloc
> /opt/local/lib/libreadline.dylib(xmalloc.so) definition of _xrealloc
> gl/.libs/libgl.a(xmalloc.o) definition of _xrealloc in section
> (__TEXT,__text)
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[2]: *** [src/ui/gui/psppire] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> Does anyone have any ideas of what I might try?   I've looked around and
> haven't found anything useful.  FYI, I'm not subscribed to the list, so if
> you're able to write back to my email address (address@hidden), it
> would be tremendously helpful.  Thanks!

I agree that this is a strange error.  It looks like libreadline
is exporting symbols that it shouldn't.

One possible solution, although you would lose a small amount of
functionality, would be to disable the readline library, by
configuring with --without-libreadline-prefix.
--
"...I've forgotten where I was going with this,
 but you can bet it was scathing."