pspp-users

UTF-8 and Windows

From: Robert Westlund
Subject: UTF-8 and Windows
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 13:59:13 -0500

Hello,

I have a Linux program that creates a pspp input file containing UTF-8 characters, which I run the file through pspp 0.6.1 (also on Linux) to create a SAV file. When I open this file in psppire on my Mac (US English), it displays the Unicode characters perfectly, both in the data and variables. However, opening this same file in psppire or SPSS 16-17 on Windows XP or Vista displays gibberish for those characters, regardless of the region I choose in the Regional control panel. I've also tried adding the UTF-8 BOM to the beginning of the file, with no success. With a BOM, the same data as CSV or Excel XLS also works fine. If the "gibberish" is pasted into a text file and saved as UTF-8, it displays correctly, which leads me to believe that there is something that is causing Windows/SPSS/pspp to not interpret the characters as UTF-8.

I've searched the pspp archives, and found other people have some issues with UTF-8, and the answer is invariably that it is dependent on your system locale, which, as I mention above, I tried. However, Windows is not my specialty.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong, or why the same SAV file works fine on the Mac but not Windows?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Rob