pspp-users

Re: GNU PSPP 0.6.2-pre6 now available

From: Robert Westlund
Subject: Re: GNU PSPP 0.6.2-pre6 now available
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 08:55:02 -0500

I sent a reply to this yesterday with 3 JPEGs attached (approx. 100k each), and it seems to have not made it to the list. Perhaps there is a size limit, or no attachments allowed? In any case, I will repeat it here, without the screenshots.

I have the following issue, still present in the pre6 release, and I'm trying to determine if it's my fault (user error), or something with the software. I posted the problem in the pspp-users list, and got a response from John Darrington that implied what I'm trying should work.

I create files containing UTF-8 characters on Linux, and pass them through pspp (also on Linux) to create .sav files for SPSS. This process works beautifully on the Mac and Linux, where the characters display properly in psppire, but not under Windows XP or Vista in either psppire 0.6.1, 0.6.2, or SPSS 17. It appears to be just a display issue based on the character encoding not being interpreted correctly, since copying and pasting the text from Windows into a UTF-8 encoded document displays the correct characters. This happens when viewing the exact same .sav file produced by pspp 0.6.2-pre6. Note that typing Cyrillic characters into a cell works fine under windows, it's just the file that's the problem. If it matters, I got the Windows binary from here: http://www.cecaps.ufmg.br/pspp/?page_id=128&lang=en

I can send screenshots, or the files in question if you like, as long as I can be sure the message will be accepted.

Thanks for any help you can provide,
Rob Westlund