pspp-users

Re: next version of PSPP

From: Karel Novotny
Subject: Re: next version of PSPP
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 10:56:50 +0100

On Fri, 2009-11-13 at 07:35 +0000, William Simpson wrote:
> My two cents
>
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 10:56 PM, Gene Shackman <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > Sounds like a lot of great work being done on PSPP.  I also add my thanks
> > to those developing the package.
> >
> > A couple of basic things were these that John mentioned
> > * An improved output system.
> > * Cut/Paste/Export to/from OpenOffice.org and Koffice.
> These are low priorities for me. Basic statistical functionality is at
> the top of my list.

It is a question of personal priority of course, but since we got into
prioritizing the wishlist (have we?), let me disagree...

IMO "Cut/Paste/Export to/from OpenOffice.org and Koffice" is a very high
priority if you expect people with basic knowledge and needs to use
pspp. Copying output from a text file into a spreadsheet in a way that
the numbers get into right cells and without additional characters (or
spaces) that would prevent the software from recognizing them as numbers
already takes some programming, even though a basic one. And it is time
consuming and this time is not really productively spent. When I am
promoting pspp among new potential users the need for these operations
really weakens all my other arguments.

Another high obstacle for pspp being picked up widely is currently
lacking UTF-8 support. Pspp has many potential users in regions where
spss (and similar) is not an option not only for ideology reasons, but
primarily because of economy. And people in these regions are often
using non-ascii character sets. I work with ICT promotion in such
regions and I am impressed with the speed of OS proliferation,
particularly since Ubuntu and truly usable and stable versions of
OpenOffice are around. But that's always only when UTF-8 is supported :)

That's why it is a great news that you consider this support for the
next release.

Thanks for all the work on the software. It is great and unique.

karel