pspp-users

AW: output as csv from console

From: Björn Manke
Subject: AW: output as csv from console
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 13:00:33 +0100

Hi Ben,

thanks for the quick reply, this solves a lot of my problems - almost perfect.

To sum it up in case anyone has similar questions:

1. Looking at the right documentation helps a lot ;)
(http://pspp.benpfaff.org/~blp/pspp-master/20101104040502/user-manual/index.html)

2. Very clean CSV output can be produced by using the named SET options (SET
/ERRORS=OFF /MESSAGES=OFF /PRINTBACK=OFF.), as you suggested.
 Combined with the errorfile option for pspp invocation this means full info in
clean files.

3. The only thing that still disturbs the cleanliness of the csv is the table
header (e.g.: "Table: Correlations"). I can live with that, but it would be
nice to be able to turn it off.

4. An option to determine text delimiters (e.g.: ",',none) for csv would be a
nice addition.

5. It seems you didn't test those SET options entirely - as you suspected. I
tested /ERRORS=OFF /MESSAGES=OFF /PRINTBACK=OFF /RESULTS=OFF. They all work
fine for csv, but SET /PRINTBACK=OFF is being ignored on html, txt, odt
outputs; and they are all are being ignored in the psppire gui's screen output.

EXAMPLE:
-------------
Syntax:
        SET ERRORS=OFF
         /MESSAGES=OFF
         /PRINTBACK=OFF.
        GET /FILE="K:\PSPP_Test\PSPP_testfile.sav"
        CORRELATION
                /VARIABLES =  ALL
                /PRINT = TWOTAIL SIG.

PSPP invocation:
        pspp "K:\PSPP_Test\Syntax1.sps" -o "K:\PSPP_Test\psppoutput.csv" -O
separator=";" -e "K:\PSPP_Test\psppoutput_errors.csv"

thanks again - great project!

Björn