pspp-users

Re: unicode

From: Kees Varekamp
Subject: Re: unicode
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 16:18:44 +1200

Thanks for the followup! :-)

It doesnt help though :-(

Now i've got
SET LOCALE='UTF-8'.
DATA LIST FILE='/home/kees/mnt/mro/Projects/Radar/J10158_Carpet/J10158/0158chn.EXT' FIXED INTNR 1-8 ..

This gives me lots of errors like this one for example:
warning: Data for variable S1_1 is not valid as format F: Field contents are not numeric.

Which makes me think that the multibyte characters are not correctly read, causing the data to be shifted. If I convert the file to ascii it reads OK, but then (obviously) the Chinese will be garbled.

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 15:50, Ben Pfaff <address@hidden> wrote:
Kees Varekamp <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm trying to read fixed width text data into pspp using
> DATA LIST  FILE='/home/kees/mnt/mro/Projects/Radar/J10158_Carpet/J10158/
> 0158chn.EXT'  ENCODING='utf8'  FIXED INTNR 1-8 ...
>
> but the utf8 encoding seems to be ignored. Which encodings are supported? I
> need one that supports Simplified and Traditional Chinese, so some Unicode
> flavor would be best I guess

It looks like, for the moment, the way to control the encoding
in files parsed by DATA LIST is to use SET LOCALE.

I intend to fix this at some point.
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org