pspp-users

Re: Copy/paste values

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Copy/paste values
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 08:05:46 +0000

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 08:34:24PM -0500, Brittany Gasco wrote:

     One feature missing that I am desperately wondering if it's available is
     the ability to copy and paste values? In SPSS if I enter values such as
     1-rarely 2-sometimes 3-neutral ect ect, and I have give or take 100
     questions using those values, I can copy and paste them into all the
     question rather than having to type it out repeatedly. When I try and do
     this in PSPP as soon as I navigate away from the box it goes back to a
     value of "none."  Is there a way to do this that I am not figuring out or
     is this functionality not implemented yet? In which case you really should
     because it's really annoying to type out the values that many times.

Currently value labels cannot be cut-n-pasted.  If this functionality is
important to you, please file a wishlist bug at
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=pspp

However, you can do what you want fairly easily with a small bit of syntax.

If you have 100 variables called q1 q2 ... q100 you can do:

VALUE LABELS
   /q1 q2 q3 q4 q5 .. q100
   1 'Rarely' 2 'Sometimes' 3 'Neutral'.

if q1 q2 etc are consecutive variables in your dataset, it's even easier:

VALUE LABELS
   /q1 TO q100
   1 'Rarely' 2 'Sometimes' 3 'Neutral'.

or if you want to apply these labels to EVERY variable in your dataset:

VALUE LABELS
   /ALL
   1 'Rarely' 2 'Sometimes' 3 'Neutral'.

Hope this helps.