pspp-users

Re: translation

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: translation
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 19:10:36 +0000

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 06:37:08PM +0000, address@hidden wrote:
> http://translationproject.org/html/translators.html
>
>> Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 13:41:01 +0200
>> From: Matej Kovacic address@hidden>
>> To: "address@hidden" address@hidden>
>> Subject: translation
>
>> Hi,
>
>> I foud out translation of PSPP into slovenian language is very bad, so I
>> contatced translator and we decided I will take care of slovenian
>> translation of PSPP.
>
>> I downloaded file pspp-0.7.9.sl.po from translationproject.org, made a
>> revision of translated strings and translated some additional strings.
>> Now I am on around 36% of translation.
>
>> I have two questions.
>
>> First, I would like to "test" my translation before submitting a file.
>> That means - I would like to run PSPP on my computer with translated
>> strings to see how does the translation really looks. which is the
>> easiest way to do that?

The easiest way is to build PSPP in the normal way.  Copy your modified .po
file into the po/ directory, rebuild and re-install.  This will automatically
regenerate the .mo file and install it.

>> Second - to whom should I send a .po file to assure it will be included
>> in next PSPP build without any problems?
>
> The translation of PSPP is done by the translation project. You best read
> http://translationproject.org/html/translators.html
> The PSPP developers pick up the new translations and include it in there
> packet.

Like Harry says, the best way is to submit it through the regular channels
at  http://translationproject.org  - They have a "robot" which checks for
various problems so if it get's through the robot, you can be fairly sure
that the translated file is technically correct. Of course it can't check
for linguistic issues ....

Note that one of the things the robot checks for is that the necessary
disclaimer is on file, which is annoying but necessary.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3
See http://keys.gnupg.net or any PGP keyserver for public key.