I use LimeSurvey and SPSS everyday at work, and I use PSPP at home.
I have managed to create a SPSS .sav file from the LimeSurvey syntax and .dat file using PSPP. I am using Win7 64 bit, and PSPP (64bit) 0.7.10-g29c145
Here is what I did:
First delete the first two lines on the SPSS syntax file that was generated by LimeSurvey. The lines of code should look something like this:
*$Rev: 10925 $ 2.
The syntax file should now start with the GET DATA command. The FILE subcommand (under GET DATA) needs to have the directory added to the .dat file name. For example:
The other thing that needs updating are the VARIABLE LABELS commands in the syntax file. The syntax file that is generated by LimeSurvey tends to break the VARIABLE LABELS commands over a number of lines. PSPP will not run the command in this format. PSPP will only run the command if the VARIABLE LABEL commands are each on one line. For example:
VARIABLE LABELS Var1 "My first variable".
VARIABLE LABELS Var2 "My second variable".
VARIABLE LABELS Var3 "My third variable".
There will be a VARIABLE LABEL command for each of the items in your survey, so there may be a number to correct. The label in the quotation marks appears pink in colour in the PSPP syntax editor when the command is well formed, and each command is on one line.
Hope that helps,