pspp-users

Re: Set icons for PSPP mime-types (GNOME)

From: Hugo Alejandro
Subject: Re: Set icons for PSPP mime-types (GNOME)
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 19:36:32 -0400

> OK, Now I have my facts straight ...
>
> Here is how I associate an icon with pspp mimetypes:
>
> 1.  Create a directory /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/mimetypes
>
> 2.  Copy your png file into this directory and name it
> application-x-spss-sav.png
>
> 3.  Run update-icon-caches /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor
>
> That should be it!
>
> To do it PROPERLY however, you need to create a whole set of icons of
> different sizes:
> 16x16 24x24 32x32 48x48 64x64 and copy them into the respective directories
> as in
> step 2.  If you don't, it will still work, but the results will be less than
> ideal
> depending on the screen resolution and the application.
>
> To do it *really* properly :
>
> You need to create several such icon sets, for each "theme":
>
> hicolor
> HighContrast
> HighContrastInverse
> HighContrastLargePrint
> HighContrastLargePrintInverse
> locolor
> LowContrast
>
> This  will mean that an appropriate icon for each theme is available  (for
> example visually impaired people, who need the HighContrast theme to be able
> read the desktop).

Hello again.

Thank you very much for your reply, I was finally able to find a way
to associate the mimetypes icons PSPP. However, no support for syntax
files (*. sps), but I think that will be a request for the
freedesktop.org project.

> If there is a talented graphic designer who wants to create a decent set of
> icons,
> we would be happy to include them in pspp, or try to persuade the gnome
> project to
> distribute them.  However, doing it right needs a bit of skill, read
> https://developer.gnome.org/hig-book/stable/icons-design.html.en
>
> Hope this all helps.
>
> J'

I remember that at some point, I made a request to the GNOME team to
add icons to the SPSS file type, the answer is that at that time there
was no priority.

Moreover, I am not a talented designer (or designer), but I managed
with a friend, to create a set of icons (alpha) for GNU PSPP software.

The icon theme now includes support for *.sav, *.por, *.sps and a set
of symbolic icons for use on menus and toolbars.

It is a not professional job, but looks good.

The symbolic icons are based on those used in the GNOME project and
forks (artlibre, libreoffice flat icon set, inkscape symbolic icon,
etc).

Attached two pictures, because I think it's a good idea to create
another topic to present my ideas.

Thank you.