pspp-users

about legality of SPSS data file (SAV)

From: Elizabeth Williams
Subject: about legality of SPSS data file (SAV)
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 07:25:49 -0400

Hey guys!

For some time I use PSPP because its features are enough for what I need, so I sidelined SPSS, leaving your license expire.

However, I made an inquiry to technical support regarding the use of SAV files in other software such as PSPP and have told me is technically illegal. That saved using SPSS SAV files or exported by another program, are for the use of SPSS.

Is that really so?

I've alarmed me much, and I pierced my format databases in POR or openoffice spreadsheets.

This reminds me problems with "microsoft files" or any other private archive.

Is it possible that in the future PSPP manages an own file type?
It could be the style of the OpenDocument or OpenRaster projects. I do not think breaking the current compatibility with SPSS, but confidence could leave users like me, keeping your data in free software.

It might even have its own features, such as save comments, graphics and results ;).

Thank you very much for your great work.

Elizabeth