pspp-users

merging sav files with unicode characters

From: Stuart McKenzie
Subject: merging sav files with unicode characters
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 14:25:25 +1100

Version: 0.8.1-g0343d5

OS Windows 7 64 bit

Hi

I’m running the following syntax file against PSPP

ADD FILE FILE="file1.sav" /FILE="file2.sav"

SAVE /OUTFILE=" merged.sav"

Each of these files contains UNICODE string character content (eg Vietnamese , Japanese, Chinese characters).

Output of the operation yields a) the following warnings

“warning: Combining files with incompatible encodings. String data may not be represented correctly.”

In the resultant file (merge.sav) the character content is not correct (as per the warning above) . I’ve trolled through the help content on the web but I’ve not been able to see any other commands to specific the encoding, instructions  on how to handle the encoding or warnings as to what encodings will cause an error.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Regards

Stuart McKenzie