pspp-users

Re: Data transformation in the Mac environment

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Data transformation in the Mac environment
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2014 08:05:57 +0100

On Thu, Mar 06, 2014 at 09:19:09PM -0500, Mark Levine wrote:

     I have had no problem with individual variable recoding. I would, however,
like to do a variable transformation of the form (If VARX = 1 and VARY =1, then
let NEWVAR = 1), i.e. a simple boolean expression.

There are a number of ways this could be achived (for example you could use
RECODE ... INTO ) but in my opinion, the simplest way is:

COMPUTE newvar = (VARX = 1) AND (VARY=1).

     I have done this in SPSS years ago and can see how it would be done on the
line entry version of PSPP, but is this sort of transformation possible in the
Mac/GUI environment? I accept that installing a LINUX OS, etc. would be an
obvious solution but my software skills are marginal and that installation path
seems daunting.

There should be no difference in behaviour between PSPP on the Mac and on other
platforms.  They should both behave identically.
Having said that, GNU and GNU/Linux are the systems that are recommended, and
which have been tested
most thoroughly.

It's probably a discussion for another forum, but in my experience
modern GNU/Linux distributions are magnetudes less "daunting" than Windows and
certainly
than the Mac ... less frustration, better for your sanity.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3