pspp-users

Re: Data transformation in the Mac environment

From: Mark Levine
Subject: Re: Data transformation in the Mac environment
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2014 00:38:26 -0500

Hi Som,

BRILLIANT!!! Thank you, thank you.

I hadn’t realized where file -> New -> Syntax would take me, right to the
ability to enter commands.  That’s exactly what I needed, opens up all the
goodies that are discussed in the documentation.

I must admit that I have scanned the manual many times but never noticed the
relevant info in the “Using PSPP” section.

Thanks for pointing me to this antidote to my ignorance.

Cheers,

Mark

On Mar 7, 2014, at 11:28 PM, dr soumalya ray <address@hidden> wrote:

hi Mark,

> On Mar 7, 2014, at 2:05 AM, John Darrington <address@hidden> wrote:
> There are a number of ways this could be achieved (for example you could use
> RECODE ... INTO ) but in my opinion, the simplest way is:
>
> COMPUTE newvar = (VARX = 1) AND (VARY=1).

>> There is no option as far as I have found to enter line commands of the sort
>> you suggest, e.g. a COMPUTE statement.

try File -> New -> Syntax

write the command suggested with variable names adjusted for your dataset.
press "Run" and select the appropriate option; if you are running this command
only, "All" will do for now.

> It appears that this Mac version looks and behaves quite differently from the
> GNU/Linux version.

i am not so sure that it is different. though could not say about the
functioning but it definitely looks same to me!

> My question then boils down to whether it is possible in the version I
have in front of me to enter commands like the COMPUTE statement.

yes (mentioned above).

> 1. Am I missing something in this version, some hidden point of access to a
> command line?

you might want to take a look at the available manual (Help -> Reference
Manual). it is available online too
(http://www.gnu.org/software/pspp/manual/pspp.html#Using-PSPP).

regards,

som