pspp-users

Re: String variables combining files

From: Frans Houweling
Subject: Re: String variables combining files
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 16:25:20 +0100

On 25/03/2015 15:59, Alan Mead wrote:

I agree completely!  And I don't think it would break any reasonable existing SPSS code for SPSS to silently make the string length in the combined file of the equal to the longest of the strings, which would prevent any data loss.

-Alan

Well, existing SPSS code will not break on PSPP, but the proposed and hoped-for superior PSPP code will definitely break on SPSS. So maybe there should be some sort of SET STRICT compatibility option.