pspp-users

Re: Filtering a specific sample of cases (not random)

From: Alan Mead
Subject: Re: Filtering a specific sample of cases (not random)
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 08:11:52 -0500

Robert,

Something like this?

sort cases by Cluster.
execute.
split file by Cluster.
execute.
freq  / Code.
split file off.
execute.

All that was from memory and untested; my apologies if I remembered wrong but hopefully it suggests the solution.

-Alan

On 4/16/2015 5:14 AM, Robert Orzanna wrote:
Dear all,

I recently started using PSPP to analyse sav data. I must say that I have no previous experience with SPSS. But from what I have seen so far, I very much like PSPP. I have one (maybe simple) question that I couldn't find an answer for in the documentation.

In an Excel file I have a list that looks as follows:

Cluster | Code
2A         | 33edfdkeew
2A         | 29dnewdnd
2B         | sd2034wss
2B         | 29jsnn2221

Then I have a sav file that I analyse with PSPP. This file contains ~ 400 cases, all with unique entries for the "Code" variable. I want to perform the analysis of the data for the different clusters. Thus, I want to filter the file for cases whose codes belong to a specific cluster.

What is the best way of doing this in PSPP?

Select cases only allows me to select a random case sample, based on a range (but only allowing me to select case numbers) or a filter variable (which I don't have in my default sav file).

My current idea was to create 2 new variables for the two different clusters and then assign a 1 to the variable for each case that belongs to the respective cluster. However, this seems to be very inconvenient and I am wondering if there is a better way to do this.

Thanks ahead!

Robert

--

mindfully present. just be and let go.
passionate. simple life. user-centred design.

Website: robert.orzanna.de
Twitter: @orschiro

Alan D. Mead, Ph.D.
President, Talent Algorithms Inc.

science + technology = better workers

+815.588.3846 (Office)
+267.334.4143 (Mobile)

http://www.alanmead.org

Announcing the Journal of Computerized Adaptive Testing (JCAT), a
peer-reviewed electronic journal designed to advance the science and
practice of computerized adaptive testing: http://www.iacat.org/jcat