pspp-users

Re: installation for windows?

From: Alan Mead
Subject: Re: installation for windows?
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2015 18:32:12 -0600

Dorie,

First, you need to know what operating system your computer is running.  I don't know a lot about Macintosh computers or the latest windows, but on Windows 7 you can find out these details by clicking the start button, then right-click on "Computer" and pick "Properties". (It looks like you can get the same screen by clicking Start >  Control Panel > System). In the screen shot fragment below, you can see I'm running a 64-bit version of Windows.

To download PSPP, go to:

https://www.gnu.org/software/pspp/

and click "Download" near the middle of the screen and scroll down until you see your operating system.  Windows users should click the "XP and up" link which takes you to pspp.awardspace.com where you need to find the "downloads" links:

Pick the most recent version (or not, if you have good reason). Chose the link on the right if you know that you have a 64-bit version of Windows, otherwise chose the 32-bit link on the left.  (A 32-bit version will work on a 64-bit machine; but not vice-versa. The 64-bit executable may be slightly more capable on the 64-bit machine; but not enough to be concerned under normal circumstances.)

If you have a Mac, reply to this message (to the list) with as much info as possible and hopefully someone with knowledge of that kind of machine can help you.

Also, note that PSPP is still somewhat rough and unfortunately there can be more bugs in the Windows/Mac versions. On the plus side, if you report the bugs, the developers will work to fix them.

-Alan