pspp-users

Re: Statically linked binaries (was re: PSPP on CentOS 6)

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Statically linked binaries (was re: PSPP on CentOS 6)
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2016 20:36:32 +0100

On Fri, Mar 04, 2016 at 11:57:09AM -0600, Alan Mead wrote:

     I installed Fedora 23 on an older machine, so I'll be on the bleeding
     edge (or close to it). I haven't gotten around to trying to make the
     latest PSPP, but there's a package for 0.8.5.

     I use some Linux software that was distributed (by a developer who
     learned to code on Windows) as both source code and binaries where the
     binary was statically linked.  Much like a Window executable, it still
     runs years after the author compiled it.  (In fact, gcc and SWIG have
     moved on and the source no longer compiles.)

     Other than (a) "that's not the way we do it" and (b) the issues of
     trusting binaries, what's the downside of distributing a statically
     linked PSPP?  Wouldn't that allow me to run the latest PSPP on my CentOS
     6 machine?

If absolutely everything is statically linked, then I think that will work.
Yes.

J'

--
Avoid eavesdropping.  Send strong encryted email.
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3