pspp-users

suggestion about scatterplot graphics

From: Tormos Marín , Raül
Subject: suggestion about scatterplot graphics
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2016 07:35:39 +0000

Dear staff of the PSPP software,

I’m teaching statistics using your software in different courses to graduate civil servants in the public administration and to undergraduate students in the university. First of all, I would like to thank you for your amazing work.

I just want to make you aware of a particular aspect of the program that could be easily improved. I realized that the graphics generated by the scatterplot function could be improved substantially just by one very minor change. Please change the color of the dots in the scatterplot, from yellow to another color such as black. In yellow it is very difficult to get the picture. In the way the output is displayed now, the dots are almost indistinguishable from the white background.

I had two additional suggestions, which are not as urgent as the first one. It would also be very useful if you could include in the menu of the scatterplot the possibility of plotting a linear regression line to the cloud of dots (and additionally showing the estimated OLS equation and R2 on a corner of the graph).

It would be great if you could also provide additional functional forms to fit the data in the scatterplot menu, such as quadratic, exponential, polynomial, etc.

Thank you very much

Yours sincerely

Dr. Raül Tormos

Centre d’Estudis d’Opinió, Generalitat de Catalunya

www.raultormos.org