pspp-users

Re: psppire.exe

From: Friedrich Beckmann
Subject: Re: psppire.exe
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2017 15:00:14 +0200

Hi,

the link in the About dialog window has a different method to open a web page
than the
reference manual help system. In psppire 0.10.2 on MacOS I get the error
message:
„Link cannot be shown. Procedure is not supported“. I remember that this
is a known problem.

The reference manual help system has three possible sources to retrieve the
help pages. If the program
„yelp“ is installed, then the help pages are displayed via yelp. I guess the
yelp application is not installed on
windows. If „yelp“ is not installed, psppire searches for a local html help
file. On my Mac this is:

file:///Users/fritz/Desktop/pspp.app/Contents/Resources/share/doc/pspp/pspp.html/index.html

When I click on „Handbook incl. Referencemanual“ in psppire, then the Mac Web
Browser opens with this file.
If no local help file is found, because it was not installed, then the html
help is retrieved via internet access.

In both cases the local web browser should open.

Could you test the follwing

a) Take your link
file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/PSPP/share/doc/pspp/pspp.html/index.html as
an address in your
web browser. Does that show the correct page in the web browser?

b) Rename the directory

> C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/PSPP/share/doc/pspp/pspp.html

> C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/PSPP/share/doc/pspp/pspp-hide.html

then open psppire and click on „Help -> Handbook“ ? This should open the web
browser with the
following page:

https://www.gnu.org/software/pspp/manual/html_node/index.html

because no local help file is found.

c) Could you write a file „test.vbs“ with the content

CreateObject("WScript.Shell").Run
"file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/PSPP/share/doc/pspp/pspp.html/index.html"

and then run „wscript test.vbs“ in a command window? What is the result? This
mimics the procedure for windows
as coded in:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/pspp.git/tree/src/ui/gui/help-menu.c
I expect that your web browser opens with that page.

d) Can you say which application is connected with html files on your system?
If you go to the directory
C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/PSPP/share/doc/pspp/pspp.html with your file browser
and then open index.html, does
any web browser open?

Regards

Friedrich