pspp-users

Re: Trouble importing data from Qualtrics

From: Alan Mead
Subject: Re: Trouble importing data from Qualtrics
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2018 09:02:46 -0500

I think you are experiencing bug 52873 .

It looks like the latest version available here:

http://pspp.awardspace.com/

is GNU pspp 1.0.1-g818227 and I installed that version. It will read my test CSV data but now allow me to read the variable names nor modify the types, etc. I can think of a few workarounds:

  • Place the file someplace like C:\ . This worked for me, although a network drive of G:\ did not (PSPPire crashed). There is something about long paths that seems to trigger bug 52873 .
  • Read the file into LibreOffice and save it as a spreadsheet; PSPP reads .ODS files.
  • Paste the resulting syntax and then edit it to achieve your desired goal (e.g., rename VAR001, VAR002, etc. to the names and formats you want).
  • Install the latest version at the URL above and import the data and then manually fix the data (e.g., rename VAR001, VAR002, etc. to the names and formats you want).
  • Uninstall PSPP and find version from 2016-07-14 and install that. It is reported to handle this issue correctly.

If that doesn't work, is it possible to send a small sample of the CSV file to the list or attach it to this bug: https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?52873 ? Maybe there's something about your file that is triggering this issue.

-Alan