pspp-users

Re: experimental support for SPV files now available

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: experimental support for SPV files now available
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 20:58:47 -0800

On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 03:30:44PM -0600, Alan Mead wrote:
> Ben,
>
> This is fantastic! I'm about to send you some feedback on three SPV
> files. The message is about 2.7MB. I'm pretty sure I cannot send such an
> email to the list.
>
> If it doesn't arrive, let me know how I can get you send it.
>
> Short description: Works pretty well! Which is amazing! But: Images
> don't appear. Page numbers would be nice. The formatting could be
> improved which is mainly an issue because of how it would print. SPSS's
> export allows including non-visible nodes out output (all those "Notes"
> tables). Editing the SPV caused some chaos.

Thanks for all the feedback!

When you say "images", do you mean charts?  SPV files can include .png
files and other kinds of images pasted in from elsewhere.  It would not
be difficult to support them but they are rare in practice (I only found
a few in my corpus) and I haven't done the work yet.  Charts, on the
other hand, are pretty common but also a lot of work and I haven't
really started on them at all yet.

I hadn't looked at page numbers yet.  They are a fairly small
incremental amount of work.  I'll put them on my to-do list.

I agree that the formatting is poor in places.  I'm planning to work on
this too.

The pspp-output utility underlying the web service supports including
hidden objects like Notes, but I hadn't enabled it by default on the web
service.  I've now added an option for this on the webpage.  (Also the
webpage now allows one to request CSV or plain text output.  Nifty?)

The chaos caused by editing was easily fixable, once I had an example of
the problem, and I fixed it.